Tuesday, July 17, 2018

SCORPIONS Live in Athens (16/7/2018). The complete setlist and more...

  Last night, the long-awaited concert of Scorpions took place at the beautiful Panathenaic stadium in
Athens, Greece.
I was there, and I'm going to inform you about what happened in general, according to my point of view.
  First of all, the stadium was almost full. I don't know a number, but I'm guessing that more than 40.000 people were gathered for the show.
  Exactly on time, the Athens State Orchestra and a small choir took their places and the concert begun. For the next 45 minutes they played a few songs of Scorpions in a "different" way, which I found kind of boring. After the orchestra, it was the time of the band to appear on the stage.
I have seen Scorpions on stage 4 times so far; this was the 5th, and the worst of all.

  Although the show was rather impressive and the sound very good, I can't say that I was really impressed with anything else, further than the Greek-Swedish drummer, Mike D. (Before Scorpions he was the drummer of Motorhead for more than 20 years).
  The members of Scorpions tried to do their best, but unfortunatelly they are not like they used to be. Also, Klaus Meine's voice wasn't that good for the first half of the show, but then it got better. (Let's not forget that he is 70 years old).   
  During the first half of the show, they played a meddley with some of their old songs from the 70's which was not so good.
  Maybe I'm not objective, because I grew up with the music of Scorpions and especially their albums up to Blackout, but I'm not the only one. And yes, I can understand that many classic bands are trying to sound "fresh" to a younger audience, but they shouldn't forget their older fans. I mean,
what's the point of playing your old classic stuff in a modern and noizy way?
  Don't get me wrong, the concert wasn't bad, but it wasn't something special either. At least, from my point of view. I have seen 100+ concerts in my life, and maybe my criteria are different now.
  In a nutshell, last night's concert was nothing special, and most probably I will not remember many things after some time.
Here's the complete setlist:
1. Going Out With a Bang
2. Make it Real
3. Is There Anybody There?
4. The Zoo
5. Coast to Coast
6. Top of the Bill / Steamrock Fever / Speedy's Coming / Catch your Train
7. We Built This House
8. Delicate Dance
9. Follow your Heart / Eye of the Storm / Send Me an Angel
10. Wind of Change
11. Tease Me, Please Me
12. Overkill (Motorhead cover)
13. Drum Solo
14. Blackout
15. Big City Nights
ENCORE
16. Still Loving You
17. Rock You Like a Hurricane 
Rock You Like a Hurricane (Athens 2018) 

No comments:

Post a Comment