Thursday, October 4, 2018

RIVERSIDE: Wasteland (2018). My review...

  Riverside is one of the most talented and famous bands of Poland, and there is a reason for that. They have been around for more than 15 years now, and with every new album they are giving proofs of their talent and quality. 
  In 2016, Piotr Grudzinski,  the band’s guitar player passed away, and the band came at a crossroad; What they should do? Split up or try to overcome the loss and continue?  Finally, they decided to continue as a trio, and as it is proven by the facts, it was the right thing to do.
This year they released their 7th studio album, named as Wasteland, which is their first album since the loss of Piotr Grudzinski, and I dare say it is one of their best works so far! I am not a devoted fan of Riverside; I like them the normal amount. I have all their albums in my collection, and as any other band in the world, they have their ups and downs. Well, Wasteland is definitely one of their ups! The band sounds more mature than ever, and Duda’s performance is simply perfect, adding a lot to the final outcome.
I am not sure how their fans will react to this album, but for me it is a wonderful work. 
Yes, it is dark, even melancholic on many occasions, but it is also powerful and inspired. Well, if you consider the facts what the band had to face during the last years, you can’t blame them. Also, I’m not sure if this can be characterized as a concept album, but it has a main theme, which is ‘the end of the world’.
  The albums open with Duda's A Capella performance in The Day After, followed by the first “proper” song of the album, which is Acid Rain. To be honest with you, I never listen to The Day After; I always begin with Acid Rain. But after that, I listen to the whole album without skipping a song. The songs seem to “flow” one after the other, and before you know it the album is over.  And it is time to press “play” again…
  Wasteland is a music “journey”, filled with emotions.  Don’t make the mistake and not pay attention to it, because it surely needs a few listens before it can be fully appreciated.
  Congratulations to Riverside for this excellent album they have offered us. In my opinion, Wasteland is one of the best album of 2018 without a doubt.
 Favourite songs: Acid Rain, Vale of Tears, Guardian Angel, Lament, River Down Below, Wasteland. 
Here, have a first taste: RIVERSIDE: Lament 
                My Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.


                    



  

No comments:

Post a Comment