Friday, August 26, 2016

SIVERT HOYEM: Lioness (2016)



  For those who are not familiar with his name, I should inform you that Sivert Hoyem is a Norwegian singer/composer, who was the singer of the Norwegian band Madrugada. After the band broke up - following the death of the guitar player Robert Buras - he followed a solo career, and his solo discography consists of 5 studio albums, with ‘Lioness’ being his new release.
  Before continuing, I should mention that I have been a fan of Madrugada since their debut album Industrial Silence in 1999. I have all their albums, plus Sivert’s solo ones, and I have seen him on stage (together with Madrugada or alone) for no less than 8 times. As you can easily understand I cannot be really objective here, but I will try to do my best.
  For those who are familiar with his sound, this album will not come as a surprise. Sivert continues in the same dark/melancholic/tender but also electric style that it has been his “trademark” let’s say. But there are some differences in comparison with his previous works. First of all, the songwriting is improved and the compositions sound more “mature” in a way. In most occasions the addition of piano and strings is helping the songs, giving a new perspective to his music.
  Sivert is an expert on setting a romantic and melancholic atmosphere, and in Lioness he does it again in the best way possible. With his deep voice accompanied with a variety of instruments he captivates the listener from the start, with the beautiful Sleepwalking Man. And that is only the beginning…
  The album is bringing so much that one does not simply be done with one or two spins to get the experience. You will definitely need a few more listenings in order to appreciate what the album has to offer, and "sunk" in the warm melancholy of its music.
  But on the other hand, I have the feeling that the second part of the album sounds “weaker” and that is something I couldn’t possibly explain. Maybe it is just my idea, or has something to do with my personal taste in music.
My most beloved songs so far would be: Sleepwalking Man, Lioness and My Thieving Heart.
                         As for my rating, I would give 3.5 out of 5.0 stars.
By clicking on the following YT link you will be able to listen to the song Lioness and have a personal idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment