Friday, February 8, 2013

DISTORTED HARMONY: Utopia (2012)

Today I will present here a new band that comes from Israel.
They are called Distorted Harmony, and their music style is pure Progressive Metal. Their music reminds one bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X mostly, and that means that here we have some very skilled musicians.
A few months ago they released their debut album named 'Utopia' which is a rather good start-up!
I might not be a great fan of Progressive Metal, but this band clicked in my ears. And I also like supporting new bands when they try to play something good.
'Utopia' contains only 6 songs, all of them rather long and enough complicated. The production is very satisfying, and in general what we have here is a good start...
If I have to find their weak spot, that in my opinion is their singer's voice. No, it's not bad at all! But it isn't anything special as well.
And here's a little something that you might find interesting: Tomorrow afternoon (Saturday 9/2), at the radio station that I have my radio program, there will be a presentation of the album, by a very good producer named Thanos Patsos. He will present the whole album, which lasts for almost an hour. But the surprise is that he arranged for one member of Distorted Harmony to be 'On Air' at the same time, speaking with all of us, (through the chatbox), answering questions, and in general have a relaxed chat with everyone. This 'Special Guest' is Yoav Efron, the main composer and keyboard player of the band.
So I guess it is a great chance to listen to the album, and at the same time you can speak to a member of the band. Not bad eh?
The presentation starts at 20.00 (Greek Time) or 18.00GMT. I will be there for sure, and I hope many of you as well...
And now it is time for a couple of videos, in order to get an idea of the band.
I chose 2 songs from this album: 'Kono Yume' (the opening track) and 'Utopia' (the closing track). These two songs are in my opinion maybe the best of the record...

                                       


                                             
                                       


6 comments:

  1. Very well laid out presentation and thanks for the heads up George, much appreciated! Hope it is worth the advertising, a really excellent album...

    Thanos

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to thank Thano. I really believe that although Prog-Metal is certainly not my 'playground', these guys did a good job. Also I listened this band first time from you. And since tomorrow you got this presentation, I thought of mentioning about it here... :)
    I don't know about other people, but I will be there tomorrow night.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent presenttion GFreedom, excellent blog indeed, great and well-dressed artwork around here! Keep up the good work and we'll be next to you!! I am posting your work!!!

    Today Bill Berends was really proggin' through shoutbox! Tomorrow Yoav Efron of DISTORTED HARMONY will equally progfly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the voice!!! Yes, I agree partly with the "nothing special" part, but I think it suits with the music and the result is quite satisfying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dimitris for your kind words about my blog. I'm glad you find it nice. :)
    Sorry I missed last night's presentation, but I wasn't able to be online. But I will be online tonight for Distorted Harmony's album presentation.
    And Lila, (thanks for your comment first of all), I'm glad you like their singer's voice. I just mentioned that as their weaker spot, because I can't find any other on this record... But of course music is a matter of taste above everything else. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed the night Thanos presented the album of Distorted Harmony. I was glad to have discovered the band through Thano because some of the qualities that come with them are truly worth the praise. I do believe that the keyboard - and piano on occasions - adds to the originality of their sound.I am no metal fan be it progressive or no. Few metal melodies would induce me to sit and listen and this is one of them. And about the voice...Well it did not hit me as something special either.I cant argue if it is a weak link or not but I surely would not bring it up as one of the best characteristics of this specific band.Thank you for this review George, I enjoyed it but you know that already anyway dont you? :P

      Delete