Tuesday, September 5, 2017

DRIFTING SUN: Twilight (2017). A review...

  Twilight is the brand new album by Drifting Sun, that was released a few days ago, on September 1st, 2017. It is the band’s 5th studio album, and I dare say that, it is their best work so far. 
  I was lucky enough to have the digital version in my hands, almost 2 weeks before the album’s official release, and I listened to it lots of times. I am not going to present the album song by song here, but I will try to give you the general “picture”.

   Twilight is Drifting Sun’s 3rd studio release in the last 3 years. (And as I wrote above, the 5th overall). After a long break, Pat Sanders reformed the band and released Trip the Life Fantastic in 2015 that was their first album of the new period, followed by Safe Asylum, one year later.
If you are interested to read my reviews on those albums, you can find them here: 
  In comparison with the two previous albums, Twilight is better in every aspect. Further than the top notch musicianship, there is a great improvement when it comes to the compositions. Twilight is not as dark as Safe Asylum, or so “easy going” like Trip the Life Fantastic.
  Here, the compositions became better and more complicated, without becoming boring or tiring for the listener. The band kept its unique sound, which is driven by the wonderful – once more – keyboards of Pat Sanders. Also, Mathieu Spaeter’s performance on guitar is really good, and it is adding many points to the final outcome! (Mathieu Spaeter is the band’s new guitar player, who came as a replacement of Dan Storey).
  When I listened to the album for the first 1-2 times, I realized that was a good one, definitely better than the previous ones, but that was it. But with every new listen, I was discovering more and more things I loved in it. And believe it or not, finally I was listening to it almost 2-3 times a day. For that reason, I strongly recommend that you pay some extra attention to it and you will be rewarded.
Now that I know the album really well, I can say that I love almost every moment in it, starting with the opening song, which is one of my most beloved ones.
  Speaking of beloved songs, here’s my list: Twilight, Wings of Hope, Soldiers and Remedy.
Because I like all the songs in this album, I usually put it in my CD player, I press “play” and I am listening to it without a break; which is something very important for me.
  If you know Drifting Sun, have in mind that this is their best work so far, so do not hesitate to go and buy Twilight. If you don’t know them so well, this a very good starting point. If you know them, but you don’t like them, well, there’s nothing I can do about that, can I?
In my opinion this is one of the best releases of 2017, so far at least.
    Congratulations, this is an excellent job!

                            Highly Recommended!
                My rating would be 4.5 out of 5.0 stars
In case you are interested, here’s a couple of links to the band’s official site and Bandcamp page, where you can order and/or download Twilight.
If you want to listen to a sample from the album, just click on the following YT links:

No comments:

Post a Comment