Thursday, May 19, 2016

TV Series: WAR & PEACE (2016)




 I recently watched this BBC TV series, and I thought of writing a few things about it here in my blog.
  Before anything else, I should mention that I never read Tolstoy’s book, and I’m not a very big fan of those classical dramas. Despite that, I watched all 6 episodes in almost 3 days, and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. 

  Before starting writing this, I read many reviews and I got confused. There are some exceptionally good reviews, and some disastrous ones. As far as I saw, the series received many 4 & 5 star ratings and many 1 & 2 stars. I guess it has to do with each person’s point of view. In my opinion the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
I could start making lists with the rights and wrongs of this series, but I don’t think there’s a point to that. You have to watch it and have your own opinion.
But I think I should mention some things I liked or disliked. On the “plus” side, were the very rich production, the costumes, the palaces and manors and of course the fantastic photography. As for the things I didn’t like very much is that some of the actors seemed too “British” for being Russian, and that I would personally like some more extended battle scenes.
  Something I believe is really important about these classic adaptations is that they give the younger audience the chance to know why war and peace is one of the most important stories written so far. It is already known that most of the young population doesn't like to read books especially the long ones. That’s why these kind of TV series and films are important, because they can deliver a story similar to a book and in some occasions even better.
  As an overall impression, I believe it is a very good series, (if you are not a Tolstoy fanatic reader), that can be watched very fast (only 6 episodes), and with every passing episode it becomes better and better.
This is not a review, only some thoughts of mine about the series. If you want to read some real reviews, you can find dozens on the internet.
By clicking on the following link you will be able to watch a trailer of the series.
As for my rating, it would be between 7.5 – 8.0 (out of 10.00)
                      IMDB’s rating is 8.2

No comments:

Post a Comment