Monday, September 10, 2018

DAVID CROSS & DAVID JACKSON: Another Day (2018). My point of view...

I think I should begin this, by introducing these two excellent musicians to those who don’t know them. 
  David Cross was the violin player of King Crimson, during the years 1972 – 1974 and participated in the albums Larks Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red. Further than King Crimson, he played with many famous musicians and recorded lots of solo albums.
  David Jackson has been the saxophone player and a former member of Van Der Graaf Generator, until 2008. He also played with lots of musicians during his long career, like Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill for example.
  This year, the two David’s decided to unite their musical forces and the result was the album Another Day that was released a few months ago.
  Another Day is an all-instrumental album, having as basic instruments the electric violin by David Cross and the saxophones of David Jackson, accompanied by bass, keyboards and drums. The style of the album is Jazz-Rock and it is not so easy to listen to, especially if you are not familiar with this specific music style. Personally speaking, I found it difficult to get used to it, and I’m not sure if I can appreciate it to the level it should be appreciated.
  There are some beautiful and melodic songs included here, like for example Going Nowhere, Millenium Toll and Anthem for Another Day, mixed with some others more Jazzy ones, which I didn’t like so much to be honest.
  I can say that I would recommend this album in general, because, as I wrote above, it’s not an easy one. But there are some wonderful moments, where the talent of those great musicians shine, and for that reason, I will give 3.0 out of 5.0 stars.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment