Tuesday, June 12, 2012

GAME OF THRONES Season 2...

   Game of Thrones 2nd season came to an end, and I would like to write some thoughts of mine.
As you probably know, season 1 was covering the 1st book of the series in 10 episodes. The same happened in season 2 as well.
Again 10 episodes covering the 2nd book, and taking the story further. My opinion is that this 2nd season wasn't as good as the 1st one. I found it a little boring in some parts to be honest.
But fortunately there was an epic finale kept for us...
And now we have to wait one more year for the 3rd season, which if I remember well, it should be the best of all 3!
   The 'problem' with G.R.R Martins books is that although he 'builds' very 'strong' and well written characters and a very interesting plot, there is a very big lack of action. Too much talking, too much diplomacy, too many characters that are scattered here and there, and very little action. The problem is that usually in these kind of books the action takes the story further. And so in this case it seems that everything is moving real slow.
   As I have said in the post about the 1st season a couple of months ago, I read the first 3 books, but many years ago. So as you can understand although I have the general story in my mind, it's impossible to remember every detail and every character's exact story.
   So now I would like a small help from you please if it is possible.
Is it just my idea, or in this 2nd season they have made some changes in the story? Because some things have happened that I don't remember reading about them in the books. But I'm not sure if it is just my imagination, or they really did change the story.
So if any of you have read the books more recently, or his/her memory is better that mine, please inform me if changes have really been made and at which parts if you remember, because I'm really curious!
Thank you in advance... :)

     

3 comments:

  1. they changed many things but not the results.
    the reason is saving tv time n money.
    for example Jammie was kept captive in Riverun (Catelyn's father castle) , Robb doesnt fall in love with a Volantis surgeon but he marries a lesser nobble girl after he sleeps with her , the siege of King's Landing miss a very big part of the book (where is the chain that closed the bay's entrance?) . At the moment the results are the same but i want to see how they will connect things in book3 (I dont say anything due to spoiler).
    I aggree that book2 was a bit slower n less active comparing to book1 but even if the battle in episode 10 its not the Ride of the Rohirrim it is still very nicely done.
    I hope book3 will be 2 seasons cause not only is the biggest one but imo it is by far the best book from all 5 Martin wrote .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with nighteyes, although I had read none of the books, my boss (who starred in season 2 :P) has read them as we often have talked about the series and the chances that have been made. Having checked out some of the story from book 2 using wiki, I saw for myself that a loooot of things have been changed/left out, another example of which being that Tyrion lost his nose during the battle of Kings Landing!!! Also, they never really showed how Stanis was able to evade being captured, one minute he was on the wall killing, the next his men were running away, he looked to have been taken captive and then his is in his room with the red head!! Bad continuity I feel. But I guess as already said, it comes down to costs and time (hence why the reduce the series into 10 episodes). Series 3 promises to be epic, and I believe that they will split the book into 2 series' as there is soo much happening.

    I also agree that in series 2 there was a lot more character development, and a looot of dialogue which made things a little more boring and hard to follow, but other than that, I feel HBO did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the help. :)
    As I have said in my post, I read these books about 7 years ago, so it is impossible to remember everything that isd happening.
    Yes I agree that HBO does some very good job, and I still believe that GoT is one of the best series ever made!
    As for book 3, is the best one. And I hope they will make it in two parts, but I don't think so.
    Let's wait and we will see... :)

    ReplyDelete