Tuesday, January 3, 2017

THE PINEAPPLE THIEF: Your Wilderness (2016)



  I first heard about the Pineapple Thief a couple of years ago, despite the fact that the band is active for almost 2 decades now. I listened to a couple of their songs, and then added in my collection the album Magnolia (2014). Their style can be described as a mix of bands like Muse, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead and Gazpacho, to name a few.
 Their music in most occasions is mellow, melancholic and romantic, but it also has a “wilder” side from time to time, which I find very welcome. I mean, let’s get serious; how much melancholy one can stand?
  I really enjoyed their previous album, that’s why I was very curious to listen to this new one, especially when I learned that some very good musicians are participating in it; like for example Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree, John Helliwell of Supertramp and Geoffrey Richardson of Caravan.
  When I first listened to the album I felt like I was listening to a new but a more mellow version of Magnolia. All the elements that characterize their sound are present, but the overall outcome is a more melancholic and a less inspired one. (Always in my opinion).
  It is one of those albums that you can easily listen from the start till the end, even use it as a background music without being annoying, but I have the feeling that there is something missing here. Maybe a couple of stronger compositions, maybe a little more “powerful” parts; I can’t figure it out.  
  Of course the album includes some really fine songs and moments, like for example the songs ‘Tear You up’ and ‘Fend for Yourself’, especially when John Helliwell’s clarinet enters.
  The overall feeling I get is kind of a “flat” one, and that bothered me to be honest. I’m having difficulties when it is time to choose my favourite(s) songs out of it, because I like the album, but I can hardly pick the one or two songs that are making the difference in it.
  But this is only my personal opinion, that’s why you should listen to it and form your own one. I read some very positive reviews, and saw some very high ratings, so maybe this album doesn’t match my music tastes so much.
As for my rating, I would give 3.0 out of 5.0 stars to it.
 By clicking on the following YT link you will be able to listen to the song Fend for Yourelf and get a first taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment