Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Books: Graham Masterton: A Terrible Beauty

As I have mentioned in a couple of posts already, the last two weeks I went to an off-season Holidays.
One of the things I really enjoy when I'm on my holidays is to relax and read a couple of books in peace and quite. This time I read only one, but boy! It was a good one!
Graham Masterton is one of my most beloved horror writers and I had read almost all of his books but not this one...
So I chose 'A Terrible Beauty' to be my holiday reading companion, and I really enjoyed it!
From the first pages the book absorbs the reader, transferring him to the cloudy and gloomy countryside of Cork in Ireland, where a very old mass murder was discovered. As a usual happening in almost all of Graham Masterton's books, the atmosphere and the suspense are present from the start, and as the reader continues reading finds it really very hard to stop, and that is something which happened to me as well. I was really trying to stop reading in order not to finish the book in one day! (It finally took me 3 days).
I don't really want to reveal anything of the plot, and for that reason I will just put here a copy of the summary which you can find on the back page of the book:

"There are things I need to know..."
On a farm in southern Ireland, the dismembered bones of eleven women are found in a common grave, buried eight decades ago. Detective Superintendent Katie Maguire is used to bloodshed, but this ivory litter of human remains is unimaginable butchery.
"Of other worlds apart from this..."
In isolated darkness not far away, an American tourist is at the mercy of a serial killer. His tools are a boning knife, twine, and a doll fashioned from nails and fishhooks. The murder of his victims is second only to the pleasure of their pain.
"Darker places inhabited by evil monstrosities..."
As an eighty-year-old mystery unfolds, so does a modern-day ritual that's marked Katie Maguire as its next victim. For what happened once in this small picturesque village is happening again. It's more than a series of horrifying crimes. It's tradition.
"Take me there."

I'm sure the people who enjoy good horror stories will find this book excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment